Saturday 28 June 2014

Another big day

I checked out my fitbit yesterday and it is tracking steps properly, I just needed to make sure.  Today the fitbit clocked up an amazing 11,490 steps!  These steps were the result of taking "the eldest one" to an open day at the university of Birmingham and walking all over the campus all day long.
I am in bed and exhausted, but exhausted in a good way.  A smile came over me earlier today when I realised I was actually "sleepy" tired.  Properly tired, not fatigued.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have felt like that since the start of my ME nearly 5 years ago.  It is the activity of the day that has made me tired.
Yet again today my leg muscles and hip joints have been crying out to me and have at some points been quite painful.  Climbing stairs was particularly hard, but at no time did I feel ill.
Even after all that activity, I managed to come home and read a bedtime story to the littlest one.  This might not sound like such a big deal, but on previous days (many of them) when I have been fatigued, reading a bed time story has been beyond me.  It might be difficult for someone without ME to understand the effort involved in just reading out loud.  Those who have experienced this type of fatigue will understand what is required to first read and then speak the words out loud when your body feels it has no energy to do so.  It has been too much, but today even after my 11,490 steps and eating dinner and managing to hold a conversation at the dinner table (often also not possible at the end of a long day), I still managed -and enjoyed- reading the bedtime story.
In addition, The busyness of the morning meant I forgot to take my heart medicine and I checked my heart rate throughout this busy day to find to my surprise that it was actually okay.  Normally one of the first symptoms of fatigue is my heart rate rising and today that didn't happen.
I find myself in some state of disbelief about what's happening with my body at the moment.  I'm still part waiting for a fall from these heady heights.  It has been 3 weeks and a day now.
Tomorrow I go on a well timed six day meditation retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment