Friday, 2 January 2015

A Step up in Steps - the Fitbit keeps track

What a stupendous end to 2014.  A city break away in Copenhagen saw my past four days step count look like this:
Yes, on New Years Eve I walked 21,000 steps!  Even more impressive because of the 2 high step count days that preceded it.  Those first two days felt really good, my body coped well.  The 21,000 step day (which is 9 miles by the way) started well but became very challenging.  My legs were soooo tired  I was determined to push on as we were away on a holiday and  wanted to squeeze  as much as possible into our short break.  The thing that seems to work for me is taking lots of rests - some walking - sit down - more walking - sit down and so on, it definitely means I can go on for longer if I take this approach.
Did I feel good by the end of it?  No, of course not. At the end of each day, I arrived at the hotel room, got into the bed and stayed there (6.30pm on the first day)  BUT, so far I haven't had what I would call a relapse, so, I didn't get that horrible feeling where my pulse is racing out of control and my body feels like it is on the very edge and my nervous system feels so frail.  No, it didn't feel like that, I just felt weak and like I couldn't take another step a bit like how a marathon runner looks after crossing the line and needs to be supported.  I was supported, there were times when my family swooshed me up, one at each arm pulling me forward so all I had to do was literally lift my foot and there was a forward motion, or walking up steps with my hubby pushing from behind, it all helps!  I was touched by the children checking on how I was doing.  I don't want them to think I am any less able than them - that I find hard - but, it was nice to see them being so thoughtful, even little Ben at one point put his arm around me as I walked along to ask how I was doing.
The hardest point was probably yesterday at the airport with long walks to gates and lots of standing in line.  I know I have said this before, but it still surprises me that standing in line is harder for me than moving.  I understand now that this is probably due to pooling blood and do my best to keep moving by rotating ankles etc, but this too is hard of course if you are fatigued.
I realise of course that with the delayed fatigue that is so typical with M.E. I am not out of the woods yet, however, now I am at home I am more in control and can relax and do only what I need to do.  I can't help but think that all the yoga and recumbent cycling I have been doing for the past few months has really helped me unknowingly prepare for the past few days.  I hope I can continue with it and push my recovery on still further this year.
Tivoli Gardens early on New Years Eve.

No comments:

Post a comment