Monday 4 February 2013

Impatience and breathing in ME / CFS


I'm starting to feel a bit "fidgety" about how my recovery is going.  I know it's not possible, but I want to feel a constant forward motion and since Christmas I haven't really felt that.  I am 9 months into my Perrin treatment and recommend treatment time for me was 12 to 18 months, so potential still only halfway through with plenty more time for further improvements.  Someone I know with ME said to me the other day that steps forward often happen in bursts, so a plateau then a burst then another plateau and so on.  I know this is sometimes the case, but I just feel impatient.  I feel I need to personally refocus on what I can do to help things along.  I guess I was on a bit of a downer about this when i attended my Perrin appointment last week.  My therapist asked what my current recovery goals are and I didn't really know.  So, I need to sort that out.  I am a list maker and a box ticker.   I get a great sense of achievement striking things off a list, and I currently have no list.  It needs to be small achievable things leading to a bigger goal.  We discussed the idea of looking at my breathing patterns as she had come across some interesting information about it and the effect on the autonomic nervous system.  I will write more about this when i have read more, but here's one of the sites I've been looking at: Disordered breathing in ME  This morning I started a new breathing regime 25 minutes of deep diaphragmatic breathing twice a day, breathing in for 6 seconds and out for 6 seconds at a time.  It feels good and it makes me feel like I'm doing more to help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment