Monday 22 October 2012

Perrin technique important reminders

A strange two weeks.  It's been one of those times (which I have experienced before) where my body is showing signs of being run down, mouth ulcers for example but actually I feel quite well.  Not sure what's going on really.  I found myself leafing through Raymond Perrins book about The Perrin Technique last night and reminding myself of some of the key points.  His views on the sympathetic nervous system seem to ring so true to me.  I am lending the book to someone else in the village who might benefit.  It's very difficult not to say to others that I know with the same condition "you MUST do this" because it is working so well for me, but I know everyone's symptoms and situation are different.  I feel so lucky that financially for example I have been able to spend whatever I need in terms of treatment and I am very grateful for that.
One good thing is that I'm finding it easier to meditate again now.  I've also managed a bit more reading which is useful as I have a pile of books waiting for me.  This pile only ever gets bigger.
I've been attending my weekly yoga class at the therapy centre and am coming to enjoy yoga for its own sake rather than just because I think it will help me.  It is the case though that a lot of the exercises we do complement the Perrin Technique well as there is lots of twisting and flexing of the spine.  One of the things that I read in the Perrin book last night was that even when recovered and out of treatment you must still do your spine rotation exercises three times a day for life.
Another important fact I read whilst flicking through the book was about convalescence.  It is important in this recovery period and as you start to feel better to stick to the "half rule".  This being that you should only do half of what you think you are capable of doing, so, if you think you can walk a mile only do half a mile and so on.  This continues to be important in the early days after completion of treatment.  Of course as you start to feel fitter, then half of what you think you can do is still more.
I think it was probably a timely revisit to the book to remind me of these things.  It is easy to get carried away when you're feeling good and push to the limits (Pilates class springs to mind).  I also find that on good days its easy to forget to do my self treatments especially in the middle of the day as I can be busy doing something rather than focusing on my next treatment.  Although this is good in one way, I mustn't let it slip, I need to carry on with the massages and rotations.  I have reduced some of my supplementation though.  I now only take 2grams of d-ribose twice a day instead of 5 times a day and L-carnatine only once a day.  I've stopped taking ascorbic acid at the moment.  I have to say I am struggling with eggs right now.  Dr Myhills advice over a year ago was to have two eggs for breakfast every day.  I've tried to have 2 eggs a day since then and done pretty well, but now when I think of eggs I can feel my body saying "Noooooo, please, no more eggs!"  It'll be Hale & Hearty's gluten free pancakes this morning - delicious.
Look at me blogging about reducing supplementation and recovery and "after completion of treatment".  This is good : )

No comments:

Post a Comment