Sunday 8 April 2012

Rituximab

I have been reading a couple of articles over the past couple of days about the drug rituximab.  It is a cancer drug which was being given to some cancer patients who were also long time CFS/ME sufferers.  It unexpectedly had a really good effect on their CFS symptoms and now research is being done to ascertain how helpful it might be in treating CFS/ME.  Here is a link to one of the articles: rituximab
If I have understood properly, then the authors of the research think that because of the way the drug has worked, it suggests that ME is an autoimmune condition.  It's really good that this sort of research is being done.
Had a FIR sauna for the first time in ages yesterday.  It went well with me breaking a sweat after 27 minutes at 45 degrees, normally it takes me about 35 minnutes at 47 degrees.  It did mean that I couldn't take the stroll down to the village with Ant that I had planned for yesterday, which was a shame, but I had my sensible head on and decided it was sauna or walk not both.  My Mickel Therapy however would say "if you want to go for a walk, go for a walk"  I have currently lost faith in this approach.
Hopefully I can get back to weekly saunas now.

No comments:

Post a Comment