Monday 24 September 2012

Perrin Technique, a review so far

These last few days I have had a little peak at normality, a remembering of how things used to be and a glimpse of what a fully recovered life might be.
To celebrate a friends 50th birthday we went to a local water park.  Here's what I DIDN'T do...
I didn't drink alcohol or eat chocolate, I didn't camp as I knew the cold and lack of sleep would not be good for me.  I didn't stand up on our raft as it was being rocked and increase my chance of going in the lake and I didn't run and jump off the end of the pier like the others, but...here's what I did do...
I got in a two man Canadian canoe and paddled for between 30 and 45 minutes around the lake.  Then after lunch I helped build a raft and launch it.  I sat on the raft as it was paddled in a race out around a small island and back again.  About a third of the way my competitive nature took over and I had to have a go with the paddle (some of my team mates were just not doing the business).  I paddled for about a third of the way and then stopped when I knew I had done enough.  I sat around the campfire with friends until 9.30pm and then went home to my warm comfy bed for a decent nights sleep.  On Sunday morning we drove back out to the lake for breakfast and then helped with packing up tents in the rain before setting off home.
Now, when I woke on Sunday morning, I didn't feel brilliant and thought I should probably spend the day quietly and not go back to the lake, but, by the time I had taken a shower and had some food and thought about what I had done the day before I felt much better and did want to go back put to join the party.  I did have to go to bed for two and a half hours as soon as we got back on Sunday lunch time, but felt fine when I got up.
At no point over the weekend did I feel ill and at no point during the activities did my body do that thing where it just turns so heavy that I can't take another step forward.
This morning when I got up it was as if I was looking at the house with new eyes.  I could see lots of jobs that needed doing and that I wanted to do.  Things that in the past were just too much of a strain on energy.
The only thing I can put all this down to is The Perrin Technique.  Nothing else in my routine has changed.  I started back in April and the first few months were hard.  I did feel worse after each treatment.  I still feel bad after each treatment, but my recovery from that has got faster and faster and recently the effects have worn off by the time I get up the following day.  Since mid summer though my activity levels have just gradually increased and of course I have been able to stop my heart medication.  It is difficult not to be evangelical about something which has made such a positive change in me.  I'm not back to where I was before all this started.  In terms of lifestyle I don't want to be.  That's probably what put me in this position in the first place, but energy wise, I would like to be and I can see some light at the end of what has been a long dark tunnel now.  I can't remember when I last cried, but if I were to cry now it wouldn't be those horrible sorry for myself tears for what me and my family have lost, but happy tears for the positive changes that have and are happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment